
Greetings! I am Caroline Pratt founder of New York’s City & Country School and my wooden block units. I am known throughout Progressive Education circles for my beliefs about how children learn. I stand firm in my belief against “the repression of formal education”. I believe the use of open-ended work materials offer children the opportunity to recreate the world around them. You can read one of my books published in 1948, I Learn from Children. I truly have taken great pleasure in learning from children and I encourage you to do the same. Do not copy my activities as a blueprint. Watch and learn from your children letting them guide the learning.
I lived from 1867-1954. After graduating from Teachers’ College I moved to Philadelphia to teach at the Philadelphia Normal School for Girls. While refining my ideas about teaching, I learned quite a bit from the Quaker people. “I began to see education not as an end in itself, but as the first step in progress which should continue during a lifetime. The schools job was to begin education, not finish it.” After teaching first grade for five years in my hometown of Fayetteville, New York, I planned to become a kindergartener. This was a radical idea in the Victorian times. Before now children were looked at sinful and morally corrupt. I rejected this notion along with other Progressives like Jean Rousseau, John Dewey, Johann Pestalozzi, and Friedich Frobel. We viewed childhood as a unique and distinct time in life characterized by innocence and a view of children as essentially good. We saw play and activity as central to growth and development. I varied from others in my belief of play though. I wanted the children to guide their own play, unlike some of my counterparts who encouraged children to be active through controlled activities directed by a teacher.
In my day people wanted to call me a feminist, but I preferred to be called a radical. I chose not to marry and committed myself to a woman centered lifestyle. I scoffed at the notion of women’s role as “natural” teachers and mothers. For me, teaching young children is critical to democracy and should not be left in the hands of non-experts.
In 1913 I opened Play School in Greenwich Village where my students were free to be creative and learn through play. We later changed the name of Play School to City & Country School per the children’s request. They felt they worked too hard for people to think they only played at school. The children think of this as their school as opposed to the grown ups’.
You won’t find textbooks, workbooks, and test at our school. Lessons are based from the interest of children and field trips around our neighborhood. All activities have to be meaningful for the students, not the teacher. Children learn to create a democratic society through their social interactions at play. You will find my wooden block units I am known for. John Dewey praised my wooden unit blocks. Children 2-7 use them as part of their play. They use them to create, solve problems, and challenge themselves. Real world experiences are recreated in class using blocks, paper, crayons, and clay. There is no set curriculum, no subjects, no grading, no direct instruction, and especially no reading. Subject matter is taught as necessary as it emerges through play. For example learning arithmetic takes place in the context of making change when playing store. As children are ready, they begin authoring books about their play and experiences.
Our “eights” and up students have important jobs where they run the school store. They display goods, serve customers, handle money, and record transactions. They even write to wholesalers for supplies, balance the books, and pay the bills of the school store. Students rotate jobs and share responsibility as their ability allows. You see this “play” is work. Real work that is important for the growth of our students and meaningful to them as well.
My only rule is this: students have to work. Work at play. Play is not to release the inner child, or for amusement, play is serious business of building democracy. I believe “ You will not find a child anywhere who will sit still and idle unless he is sick – or in a traditional classroom.”
Through my time learning from children and fighting against the traditional curriculum, I have had my struggles with parents. I have a difficult time seeing them as experts. Our largest area of contention is about reading. “parents are anxious to have their child begin reading, they say, because reading is the beginning of their education…my entire life, and our school, and this very book have been devoted to the cause of demonstrating that education does not begin with books, but with life; that books are only a part of a child’s learning, not even the most important.”
How would my thought “education does not begin with books, but with life; that books are only a part of a child’s learning, not even the most important” go over with parents at your school? If you are a parent and are becoming an expert on curriculum, how do you feel about this thought?
I lived from 1867-1954. After graduating from Teachers’ College I moved to Philadelphia to teach at the Philadelphia Normal School for Girls. While refining my ideas about teaching, I learned quite a bit from the Quaker people. “I began to see education not as an end in itself, but as the first step in progress which should continue during a lifetime. The schools job was to begin education, not finish it.” After teaching first grade for five years in my hometown of Fayetteville, New York, I planned to become a kindergartener. This was a radical idea in the Victorian times. Before now children were looked at sinful and morally corrupt. I rejected this notion along with other Progressives like Jean Rousseau, John Dewey, Johann Pestalozzi, and Friedich Frobel. We viewed childhood as a unique and distinct time in life characterized by innocence and a view of children as essentially good. We saw play and activity as central to growth and development. I varied from others in my belief of play though. I wanted the children to guide their own play, unlike some of my counterparts who encouraged children to be active through controlled activities directed by a teacher.
In my day people wanted to call me a feminist, but I preferred to be called a radical. I chose not to marry and committed myself to a woman centered lifestyle. I scoffed at the notion of women’s role as “natural” teachers and mothers. For me, teaching young children is critical to democracy and should not be left in the hands of non-experts.
In 1913 I opened Play School in Greenwich Village where my students were free to be creative and learn through play. We later changed the name of Play School to City & Country School per the children’s request. They felt they worked too hard for people to think they only played at school. The children think of this as their school as opposed to the grown ups’.
You won’t find textbooks, workbooks, and test at our school. Lessons are based from the interest of children and field trips around our neighborhood. All activities have to be meaningful for the students, not the teacher. Children learn to create a democratic society through their social interactions at play. You will find my wooden block units I am known for. John Dewey praised my wooden unit blocks. Children 2-7 use them as part of their play. They use them to create, solve problems, and challenge themselves. Real world experiences are recreated in class using blocks, paper, crayons, and clay. There is no set curriculum, no subjects, no grading, no direct instruction, and especially no reading. Subject matter is taught as necessary as it emerges through play. For example learning arithmetic takes place in the context of making change when playing store. As children are ready, they begin authoring books about their play and experiences.
Our “eights” and up students have important jobs where they run the school store. They display goods, serve customers, handle money, and record transactions. They even write to wholesalers for supplies, balance the books, and pay the bills of the school store. Students rotate jobs and share responsibility as their ability allows. You see this “play” is work. Real work that is important for the growth of our students and meaningful to them as well.
My only rule is this: students have to work. Work at play. Play is not to release the inner child, or for amusement, play is serious business of building democracy. I believe “ You will not find a child anywhere who will sit still and idle unless he is sick – or in a traditional classroom.”
Through my time learning from children and fighting against the traditional curriculum, I have had my struggles with parents. I have a difficult time seeing them as experts. Our largest area of contention is about reading. “parents are anxious to have their child begin reading, they say, because reading is the beginning of their education…my entire life, and our school, and this very book have been devoted to the cause of demonstrating that education does not begin with books, but with life; that books are only a part of a child’s learning, not even the most important.”
How would my thought “education does not begin with books, but with life; that books are only a part of a child’s learning, not even the most important” go over with parents at your school? If you are a parent and are becoming an expert on curriculum, how do you feel about this thought?
I have never taught at a public elementary school. My work has been primarily at the university level. However, I have to disagree with your thoughts that education does not begin with books. A child is not born with natural abilities. They have to be instilled in the child. I believe that the only way to do this is through formal, rigorous education. I also have strong feelings about learning through literature, so again, I would insist that books be a large part of a child's learning.
ReplyDelete~ Johann Herbart
I think students need to learn to participate in our culture, so learning how to read needs to be a part of that. However, I also see how social interactions and play can lead to opportunities to teach the children how to think in real-life.
ReplyDelete-Hilda Taba
I don't think the parents would be too happy, but I agree that children learn best through play. You should let the lessons create themselves through their interactions. I don't think formal instruction with books. I commend your findings.
ReplyDeleteVivian Paley
I am afraid this seems to be rather naive in theory and practice. While there are many benefits to play, children need structure to learn. This structure should be provided from good teachers and well thought-out school systems. This cannot be considered a true education when the children are so self-directed and given so much lack of guidance.
ReplyDelete~Horace Mann
I completely agree with the notion that books are only a part of education. Education should come from experiences and interactions with the world. Your method of play, which incorporates real world responsibilities, is an excellent way to teach young boys their future trades.
ReplyDeleteJean-Jacques Rousseau (Emile)
I really tend to disagree that children should not be beginning their education with books. Learning to read is essential to everyday life. I do not disagree that play is a wonderful way for children to create experiences and learn from them, but please do not discount how important reading is to these children as well.
ReplyDeleteBooks are not a necessary part of education. The world around us offers many learning experiences. Children are capable of learning on their own.
ReplyDeleteYour thought that “education does not begin with books, but with life; that books are only a part of a child’s learning, not even the most important” would likely over well with parents at Montessori schools. I believe that self-directed activity in a controlled environment is the best way to approach education.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed learning about your ideas on play and work. I feel books are a great source but can be used too often to tell students answers instead of letting them find answers and form opinions on thier own. I guess, therefore, I am agreeing with your ideas on book use. I just feel we tell our students too much, so much lecturing goes on even with young children. They need to be given time to explore thier ideas and those of others, even if this is through play.
ReplyDelete-Eleanor Duckworth
II appreciate your ideas that the children's work is play. I agree that students do not need to be lectured at and corrected all the time but I feel that books are very important in a child's life. Children need access to good public and school libraries. Students need to be given time to read to become a “good” reader.
ReplyDeleteThe parents of my students would be very upset with the idea of using books second to real life learning experiences. Literature is one of the educational world's one and only gifts. Considering the fact that all of my student's parents pay to have their child attend my special school, I would probably lose many students if a decision as such was made.
ReplyDeleteI fully agree that books should not be the entirety of one's education. Students should also learn things that are relevant to the real world and that knowledge can be acquired from other sources. I think parents would be receptive to learning coming from experience rather than reading books.
ReplyDeleteIsn't it funny that parents and even other educators that aren't familiar with kindergarten think all we do is play. You and I know how important using those wooden blocks are. There is a wealth of learning going on when a child is manipulating the blocks or beads. Children are "at work" while they are playing.
ReplyDeleteOur parents would agree with you. It is our belief that the child’s interest drives the curriculum and that the teacher, parent and community act as facilitators in their education asking them questions to guide their research and knowledge further. You stated that you saw play and activity as central to growth and development and that you wanted the children to guide their own play, we agree with this statement and thus, is our underlining goal in educating our students.
ReplyDelete--Reggio Emilio