Friday, June 5, 2009

Johann Herbart

Johann Herbart :

My pedagogy emphasizes the connection between individual development and how it contributes to society. I think in order for people to fulfill their true purpose, they need to become productive citizens. Every child is born with certain potential. Only formalized, rigorous, education can develop that potential and lead to moral and intellectual development.

I have noticed that basal readers are becoming very popular in classrooms. These are too predictable and boring. Teachers need to appeal to students' interests instead. The use of literature and historical stories would be much more enjoyable and effective.
My followers designed a five-step teaching method based on my work and ideals. It is as follows:

1. Prepare the pupils to be ready for the new lesson.
2. Present the new lesson.
3. Associate the new lesson with ideas studied earlier.
4. Use examples to illustrate the lesson's major points.
5. Test pupils to ensure they had learned the new lesson.

Do you agree with my thoughts about basal readers? Should literature and historical stories be used in place of them? Also, what do you think of my five-step teaching method? Are they still being used in schools today?

14 comments:

  1. I disagree. There is too much structure involved in your method. Where is the room for social interaction? They would learn a lot more if you let them interact more instead of listening to you read and give examples and test. Qhy don't you try letting them act out the stories you use-I bet they would learn a lot more.
    Vivian Paley

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do agree that basal readers are very predictable and not quite as interesting as other types of literature. Some children may benefit from the predictable text if they are struggling with reading, but other children learn best from their interests. I do believe that your five-step teaching method has good points, but maybe allow a little room to move away from the lesson if needed. Sometimes the lesson will take a new direction in light of students' discussion or responses and much can also be taken from those situations as well.
    -Marie Clay

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with both what Vivian and Marie have said. Basal readers do become boring for students and don't involve the students in high level thinking. They also don't provide for much social interaction. I like your 5 step method, but think the teacher needs to step back and act like a mediator, not a lecturer or a judge on right and wrong opinions.
    -Hilda Taba

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I appreciate your nod toward allowing students to follow their own interests, I think that your method puts too much emphasis on what the teacher is saying. Also, I disagree with your idea of testing. Grades act as external motivators that undermine a child's natural tendency to explore and learn.

    You really seem to emphasize the teachers role. I would recommend letting the teacher step back and observe students and their learning processes, only becoming involved when specific tasks need to be taught. It sounds like with your method students would need to follow the teacher's schedule. This may undermine their ability to concentrate. This is unfortunate, as some of the best learning takes place when a child is engaged in deep concentration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am confused by your focus on reading given you believe education leads to moral and intellectual development. I of course agree that rigorous education is required for harnessing humans innate potential to be good. Perhaps historical stories would serve as a link between intellectual and moral development. These stories could serve as a two-fold educational tool. They are useful for both literacy instruction and impart a moral message. If this is the case, then I condone their use in education.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our approach is used in early childhood environments therefore basal readers are not readily used yet. Instead, in our classrooms teachers find materials and books that appeal to the student’s interest. They base their lessons on what interests the child therefore, creating enjoyable and effective units of study. Your steps for instruction are similar to what our teachers do however; we evaluate through observations and conversations rather than a pencil paper test.
    -Reggio Emilia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your emphasis on individual development and how it contributes to society is correct and in line with what I propose. Children do need to become productive citizens. Alas, that is where our similarities end and your method goes astray. I do not know what you refer to as basal readers and your five-step teaching method. In regards to reading, I believe that books are not better than the world and no teaching method is better than fact. Children who read do not think, they only read. He is not being taught; he only learns the words.

    Jean-Jacques Rousseau (Emile)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do not believe basal readers would fit very well into my kindergarten classroom. As you are aware, I believe play plays a crucial role in one's development. A child is going to learn just as much, if not more through engaging in the world around them. Children would have more fun listening to trade books than basal readers, which can tend to be somewhat boring.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do not think that a formal education is required for children to become productive citizens. Children learn best in a free and open environment where they are able to chose what they want to learn. I do not think that children should learn by lecture, they should learn by hands-on experiences. -Bill Ayers

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am sorry to say but I must disagree with your method. Although I agree that basils are boring your method does not allow for critial exploration of the new lesson. It seems to me that you are just telling the students what they need to know and not allowing them time to explore the new idea themselves. Exploration gives them time to see all sides of the new topic instead of just the one side teachers tend to give them. I am curious about your testing methods. Assessment can be done in many ways, I hope you are choosing appropriate ways to ensure understanding of the new topic. Paper and pencil tests and not the best way because they only provide one right answer most of the time and do not allow the teacher to listen to the ideas the child may have on the topic.
    -Eleanor Duckworth

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree that students learn more when it is based on their interests. However, I feel that your method is very structured which, does not leave much room for your students’ interest. Basal readers can be boring for students but I believe students learn more from choosing their own books which can be read during silent sustained reading time.
    -Stephen Krashen

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think your approach is a good one for older children. However, how will you allow for individual differences that are obvious in our world? It seems to lack a certain amount of flexibility for the various possible disabilities that may be a part of your classroom. I also agree that children should be able to read whatever they are interested in. As long as they are reading, they are gaining knowledge. Learning about history is important, but does not need to be a forced part of 'reading' class, as much as it does about history. ~ Horace Mann

    ReplyDelete
  13. I support your teaching methods! I feel they are used in my school as well. In current day teachers do use basils, however use of historical resources would bring a useful piece of information. This would also benefit children as far as learning to read informational text. Your five step process would benefit from a preassessment.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Though I agree with your opionins on the use of basals in the classroom, I strongly disagree with your five step method. It seems far to structured and based on the teachers control as oppse to the student driving the learning. I also feel that learning about society is best don through play and life experiences in the classroom not through books. ~ Pratt

    ReplyDelete