Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Deborah Meier




Hello

My name is Deborah Meier and it is hard to believe I have spent four decades involved in public education. I have worked in public education as a teacher, principal, writer and public advocate. I have been noted to be the founder of the small schools movement and founded a number of public elementary and secondary schools in New York and Boston that serve predominantly low-income African American and Latino students.
Currently I serve as principal emeritus of Mission Hill School in Boston, co-chair of the Coalition for Essential Schools, and am a senior scholar at NYU’s Steinhardt School of Education. I received the MacArthur Genius Award in 1987 for a few of my books which includes, The Power of Their Ideas, In Schools We Trust and Many Children Left Behind.
Recently I was interviewed by Amy Goodman at "Democracy Now", in response to the education policy of President Obama and Arne Duncan, the Education Secretary,speaking before the House Education and Labor Committee Wednesday, May 21, 2009.
This is part of my response;
I think it’s missing the heart of what’s the problem and looking at this from the eyes of—there’s a wonderful book called Seeing Like a State, which I urge people to read, because there’s a way of looking at what’s wrong with schools that I think the business eye sees, which is different than the teacher, child and parent eye, what’s wrong with our schools. And so, to look for the answer increasingly in distant from where the action takes place, the cutting out of teachers’, parents’ and children’s voices in making decisions about schools, as we escalate the penalties if they don’t meet test scores. The incredible obsession with test scores, particularly in two particular areas, that hardly define what it means to be a well-educated person.
For my complete interview please click on my link http://www.democracynow.org/2009/5/21/stream

16 comments:

  1. I agree with you Deborah. There are so many left behind. If they would stop taking all the play based curriculum out of these schools and replacing it with all these standards and sub-standard skills, maybe we wouldn't have to be worried about test scores all the time.
    Vivian Paley

    ReplyDelete
  2. The final step of a five-step teaching process developed based on my ideals is to test pupils to ensure that they've learned the new lesson. If you don't test them over the material, how are you going to know if they've learned it?
    ~ Johann Herbart

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think children learn best in smaller groups. I think it is a a good thing that you are advocating for smaller schools. I do not think test scores accurately measure what a child knows. How do you measure social awareness? There are so many things that a child should learn that cannot be measured by test scores.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deborah, I agree there should not be such an obsession with test scores. I feel there is so much more learning that takes place in classroom that is not evaluated by a test. “No Child Left Behind, is a program that is turning schools in the US into test preparation centers.”-Stephen Krashen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do believe that you are expressing the belief that children should have a focus on their strengths and be proud of their accomplishments. This will also allow for students to heighten their weak areas for improvement. Working one on one as in Reading Recovery allows for this type of instruction with students. We see much improvement in students from year to year. Great thoughts!
    - Marie Clay

    ReplyDelete
  7. If the students haven't been taught how to connect what they are learning know to prior knowledge, they won't be able to make generalizations and perform well on the standardized tests. The questions stunt their creativity and social advances and I don't think it's a true test of what the students understand- maybe what they can memorize, but not what they will remember for a lifetime.
    -Hilda Taba

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree that the emphasis on test scores is ridiculous. Students need to be allowed to follow their own natural inclination to learn and explore. They do this naturally without external motivators. Some of the best learning takes place when they are left to concentrate on their own. How can any of this take place if they must focus on learning empty facts for testing?

    What message does high stakes testing send our students? Students should learn in an environment where outside motivators such as grades are not used. If we are using tests to "grade" schools themselves than this sends the wrong message.

    What are we focusing on with such test scores anyway? They cannot measure all that a child knows, especially if they have been following interests and developing life skills.

    -Maria Montessori

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do not like the focus on testing either. First, it only assesses academic skills. These skills are only one part of education. Secondly, that focus results in less time and energy on the other components of education. That is, all the testing hoopla has detracted from character development, which is of the utmost importance when it comes to educating our youth.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Life is the ultimate test. I believe we are born weak, stupid and lacking everything. It is only through the gain of knowledge that man can truly develop the necessary character and moral compass. Raising a man for himself is not as valuable as raising him for others. We must make citizens and the test of this is only found through his contributions to society.

    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau

    ReplyDelete
  11. I believe what you say is true. There is to much emphasized on test scores in today’s schools rather the focus should be what is the best learning environment for the student. It is the student’s voice we need to listen to. What are their needs? We should take that in to consideration and let our instruction start there. You are right when you say that today it is the business voice that is listened to and the parent, child and teacher is often forgotten. It should be a community effort of parent, child, community and teacher when it comes to how a child should be educated.
    -Reggio Emilia

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree with your comment on test scores. How can we place such value on one test taken during the year. This tests does not tell us what goes through a child's mind only which answer they feel could be right. What are we teaching young children when it comes to tests such as these? You can not have an opinion, there is only one right answer? Where is there justification for when we do not allow our children to have ideas and opinions other than that of the test?
    -Eleanor Duckworth

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree that test scores are much too highly valued. I also appreciate your comments on the struggle in the school system to accommodate the various 'voices'...parents, teachers, students, administrators. However, I think it would be nearly impossible for all voices to really feel heard due to the varying opinions in the stakeholders. Raising awareness is key though, so thanks for bringing it up! ~ Horace Mann

    ReplyDelete
  14. I encourage the the creation of educational environments that involve practical work and the direct use of materials. Trhough engaging with the world, unstanding unfolds. It seems as though we are taking all of the "fun" out of school with all the stress on testing." Not all kids are good test takers. So you don't really get a true picture of what they are capable of. Teachers know their children well. They know what they can and can't do.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I feel test scores are very important. In our school, somewhat like an academy, we place a very high emphasis on student scores. I'm unfamiliar with "No Child Left Behind" idea but would be willing to learn more about it! Seeing as I'm the co-founder of my educational practice I feel we reach many children from all different backgrounds and this may be pleasing to you to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree testing and test scores running a school are a problem. I have a hard time looking at parents as experts let alone buinessmen and politicains. What have they learned from children? Children learn through play and recreating the world around them. What motivation does a test score provide to learn? None. ~ Pratt

    ReplyDelete