Saturday, June 6, 2009

Eleanor Duckworth

Hello everyone, my name is Eleanor Duckworth. I was born in 1935 in Montreal, Canada to my wonderful parents Jack and Muriel Duckworth. Growing up with these two role models helped lead me in the right direction from the start. My parents were Canadian peace workers and social community activists. With their help I was able to find my way through life. I am currently a Professor of Education at Harvard Graduate School of Education but also enjoyed my time as an elementary school teacher, student at the Universite' de Geneva, as well being a student, colleague, leading translator and interpreter of Jean Paiget. I have also written books including "The having of wonder ideas."
It was while I was working with Paiget that I gained insights into the nature and development of understanding and intelligence in his clinical research method. This led me to develop my "clinical exploration" method. This method can be broken down as follows:


1. Curriculum development: the teacher plans how to engage the students' minds in exploring subject matter.
2. Pedagogy: the teacher encourages the student to express their thoughts as they work to explore the subject matter.
3. The teacher becomes a researcher to explore the student's thoughts and ideas. The teacher then helps to open a variety of paths for exploration, provide any surprises, and help them realize any other viewpoints that could be hiding.
4. The teacher's goal is to keep the student thinking and talking about the subject matter but also help them move beyond the first thought that the student had.

With this method I became convinced that students must construct their own knowledge and find new meanings on their own; if teachers continue to just tell students what they need to know it does not serve enough purpose to keep them interested and learning. Teachers who just "tell" are not opening up the door to exploration and new experiences.

I firmly believe that students need to explore their topic while the teacher acts as a researcher and facilitator. How do you feel about students exploring topics and expressing their thoughts while doing so? Is this something you feel could easily be implemented for every subject/topic or does it only fit into certain subject matter such as Science?

14 comments:

  1. We tend to teach children what they could learn better by themselves and to neglect what we alone can teach them. For example, children will learn to walk on their own without meddling from parents. On the contrary, we see children walking badly because they were ill taught! Children should be encouraged to utilize their freedom and taught to be self-sufficient. I agree children should be allowed to explore topics and express their opinions. Elements of education should be derived less from books and more from children’s interactions with the world. They should be encouraged to develop their senses and learn to draw their own conclusions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that children can delve into their own learning, but if a child struggles the teacher must provide direction to maintain growth. If a child does not know when to ask for help growth may never be seen. I would wonder about how well self exploration of math skills would work. Some skills in math have to been shown to students before the skill can be understood. Children can explore, but with some boundaries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I agree with a more traditional style of teaching, where the teacher does more telling, I do think there are opportunities for students to explore topics on their own. Although Science is the subject where this happens most often, it could happen in other subjects as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have spent my career encouraging children to guide their own learning. Children should experiment and learn about the world around them. I believe they can experiment and play though all subject matter, but the curriculum should not be laid out by the teacher, but based on the wanderings of children.~ Caroline Pratt

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that students need to be active in their learning and express their thoughts in their learning process. I believe every subject should be based around student’s interest because they will want to learn. Student’s learn best when they are in a natural setting making their own decisions.
    -Stephen Krashen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Children can learn on their own, especially girls. They are too full of curiosity not to learn on their own when given the opportunity to do so. However, girls should not waste their time learning things that have no utility in the fulfillment of the responsibilities they will have as adults. As such, educators must not be too laissez-faire.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Children should be allowed to explore topics of interest to them and to express thoughts about these topics. Exploration is not limited to one "subject" and can be applied to all learning. I caution you to not allow the teacher to take on too much of a leadership role. At their best, teachers are observers and occasional guides or demonstrators, but they allow the child to concentrate on activities on their own.
    -Maria Montessori

    ReplyDelete
  8. I fully agree that students should explore and learn on their own. Teachers should only act as a guide and not direct the entire flow of the lesson. Students do not learn best by lecture, but open and free exploration.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that students should be encouraged to learn on their own, but are in need to assistance to channel their thoughts, as we all know that children do not always know what is best for them. I agree that it may not be appropriate for every subject. I am not even sure that it is most appropriate for Science. ~Horace Mann

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wholeheartedly agree with you! Teachers need to act at guides and I think this can happen in every subject if teachers learn how to do it well. It can also turn into a disaster if not done correctly. . .
    -Hilda Taba

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your clinical exploration method is SUPER! It goes right along with my thinking. Let me tell you how I do this. I allow the students to express their thoughts and ideas through story telling. After they tell the story, we act it out as a class-making the student feel that they are important. I also listen to them as they paly and take their ideas and turn them into lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree that students should contruct their own knowledge and find new meaning on their own. How will students learn to figure things out if all we do is tell them. Children must learn through exploration hwo to solve their problems. I think this can be done is any subject area, not just science.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I believe students need to be active in investigating their own learning and that their interests guide their education. I also agree that teachers should act as researchers and facilitators. I feel that this type of learning can take place in any subject not just in Science.
    --Reggio Emilio

    ReplyDelete
  14. Although I believe teaching should be done differently than you, your process can be applied to all content areas. I do not support discovery learning. Teachers should continue to research effective practices, however, I feel they will always come back to strict discipline and direct instruction from the educator. Teachers need to both facilitate and instruct lessons and assessments from start to finish.

    ReplyDelete