I feel that the purpose of education is to encourage and guide man, thinking and perceiving being in such a way that he becomes a pure and perfect representation of the divine inner law through his own personal choice. Education must show him the ways and meanings of attaining that goal.
I believe that humans are essentially productive and creative and fulfillment comes through developing these with God and the world. I created an educational environment that involved practical work and the direct use of materials. I feel that when people engage with the world, understanding will unfold. The Kindergarten system that I developed has an emphasis on play and use of gifts (play materials) and occupations (activities). I even became known around the world as Froebel Gifts. The Froebel gifts have been widely imitated and adapted by many educators and toy makers. I was convinced that the kindergarten's primary focus should be on play- the process by which I believe children express their innermost thoughts, needs, and desires. I realized that at the time, my emphasis on play contrasted with the traditional view prevalent during the nineteenth century that play, a form of idleness and disorder, was an unworthy element of human life.
Some of the special materials or gifts that I develop include shaped wooden bricks, balls, tiles, sticks and rings, blocks and various materials for drawing, embroidering, paper cutting, weaving or braiding, paper folding, modeling, and interlacing. These materials are used in almost every Kindergarten classroom today. I also developed a series of recommended activities (occupations) and movement activities. Some of the occupations included paper, pencils, wood, sand, clay, and straw. The kindergarten activities included games, songs, and stories that I designed to assist in sensory and physical development and socialization. My original concern was teaching young children through educational games in the family. But in my later years, I became linked with a demand for the provision of special centers for the care and development of children outside of the home. These activities/games not only nourish the inner activity drive, but they also teach the use of the child's immediate environment as means for play and occupations, and as educational aids. These activities/games that have developed are educative and developing for the person who plays with the child, which then influences a genuine bond between them both.
How do you feel about using play as instructional activities in the classroom?
I agree, chidren learn through play, it is so natural. A child's work is play, imagination, exploration and play...they learn so much that way. ~Carolyn Pratt
ReplyDeleteI too believe that children should be given the opportunity to play at this young age. In this way, children can develop their interests and explore the world around them so that they, too may enjoy the pleasures of life. -Suzuki
ReplyDeleteIt is nice to meet you Froebal. I am glad to see someone who has the same point of views as me. I agree that children can learn so much through play, as well as it offering so many valuable teaching lessons for a teacher.
ReplyDeleteVivian Paley
A child's imagination is a wonderful tool. It allows children to act out what they are interested in, and this in turn communicates ways in which to help the child learn. Storytelling is a great skill to develop while teaching reading to students in the primary years. Play is a wonderful outlet for retelling stories already read and it helps children to sequence events. -Marie Clay
ReplyDeleteGreat ideas! Social interaction gives students ideas and experiences with many others, which helps develop the students prior experiences that they can build upon when acquiring new material in the classroom. Students can generalize until they have organized the data in their brains first, and social play helps them do this.
ReplyDelete-Hilda Taba
I think that play can be very important. Play is a child's way of exploring the world. Children have a natural inclination to explore and learn and this should be supported in the classroom. I agree with you about the importance of having specific materials in the classroom environment, as these materials can aid greatly in learning. I believe that children should be allowed to direct their own activity within the classroom environment, as long as they are not disruptive to others and as long as they use the materials appropriately.
ReplyDeleteI believe play is important because it develops a better understanding of the world in children. However, unless there is some structure to it, I don't know how valuable it is to their education.
ReplyDelete~Johann Herbart
I like that you understand education is more than just imparting factual knowledge. It is about a complete person, which includes morality. I am amiable to the idea of play being a part of education, but only because of the materials you developed for this purpose. Some of the materials, or Froebel gifts, provided training useful in life, particularly the embroidery, weaving, and braiding for females. However, if all of the materials are to be used by both males and females alike, then I have an issue.
ReplyDeleteOur whole approach to learning is based on a child learning through his/her play. In our classrooms teachers create units of study that children explore and learn from through their social interactions and play. It is vital at the early childhood stage of development to encourage learning through their imaginations and play. It builds so many life long learning skills.
ReplyDelete-Reggio Emilia
Children should be encouraged to play with toys and age-appropriate materials. Education burdens a child with restrictions and begins making him miserable in attempt to prepare him for some far-off happiness. Children are subjected to an intolerable yoke and condemned like slaves to endless tasks that lack rewards. To share with you from my work, “On Education,” which I consider my most important work, “The age of gaity is spent in tears, punishments, threats, and slavery. You torment the poor thing for his own good; you fail to see that you are calling Death to snatch him from these gloomy machinations.” Therefore, Mr. Froebel, I believe you are correct in encouraging play and exploration.
ReplyDeleteJean-Jacques Rousseau (Emile)
I really like your idea of having children learn through play and activities. I think this is the best way children learn. I do not think children learn through lecture. I also agree that education should be used to guide people, not fill them with knowledge.
ReplyDeleteI must say that I agree with your idea of play in the classroom. This type of play you have described allows children to explore many different ideas and concepts. I hope that you allow time for expression with your toys, with you or other children. This helps children not only see their point of view but others as well. I understand that kindergarten children usually only see their ideas but it is never too early to start looking at other view points!
ReplyDelete-Eleanor Duckworth
I agree that children benefit by learning through a natural environment. I believe play is fitting for a kindergarten setting. Students are able to learn rules for linguistics through talking and listening to one another.-Stephen Krashen
ReplyDeleteFriederich,
ReplyDeleteWhile I do agree play and activity are central to growth and developement, I want children to guide their own play. I do not agree with controlled activities directed by the teacher.
~Caroline Pratt
I think play is a good addition to the schoolroom. However, I believe all is good in moderation and too much play hinders the child's ability to understand structure and routine. However, I have little experience in teaching young children and I know that play is important during this phase. ~Horace Mann
ReplyDeleteI would not support the use of "toys" in the classroom. My educational view is the extreme opposite. Children learn best with direct instruction and memorization. Disciplinary action needs to play front and center. One thing I keep in mind is that your pupils are younger than mine, however, in my time the idea of kindergarten is a very new concept.
ReplyDelete