Our approach to education is based on a variety of principles. The first principle is an emergent curriculum. An emergent curriculum is one that builds upon the interests of children. In our schools topics of study are created from the talks a teacher has with children, through community and family events and was wells as the known interests of children such as dinosaurs, transportation, etc. Teachers work as a team to create and formulate hypotheses about the directions of the project, the materials needed and possible parent and community support and involvement.
The next principle is project work. Projects are in-depth studies of concepts, ideas and interests that arise within the classroom. These projects may last one week or could continue throughout the school year. It is through these projects that teachers help children make decisions about the direction of study, the ways the class will research the topic, how they will represent and demonstrate the topic.
The third principle is collaboration. Students work in collaborative groups. This is considered valuable and necessary to advance their cognitive development. In our approach we collaborate with families and the community in order to form a team to support the learning of the child.
The fourth principle is teachers as researchers. A teacher’s role is somewhat complex compared to that of a teacher in a traditional learning environment. The teacher is seen as a researcher. Teachers listen, observe and document children’s work and the growth of community in their classroom. They provoke, co-construct and stimulate thinking in collaborative groups.
The fifth principle is documentation. Our teachers document their students learning through a process that is very similar to a portfolio approach. This is a very important tool in the learning process for children, teachers and parents. In our class, you would see a teacher taking lots of pictures to document students learning. Documentation is not only used for assessment but for advocacy.
The final principle is the environment and considered the “third teacher”. The set up of our classrooms differ from a traditional classroom. Our classes are very warm and inviting. Teachers organize space for small and large group projects. Documentation of children’s work, plants and collections that children have made from former projects are displayed both at the children’s and adult’s eye level.
Our approach to education is quite different from the traditional early childhood approach. If you walk into our classrooms it may seem we are only playing but, we use this as a way to build a child’s learning. Teachers are guides that create their instruction based on children’s interests rather than instructors who teach a set curriculum. Do you feel our teachers can be effective educators? The community and parents play a very vital role in our approach. What are your thoughts on community and parent involvement in a child’s education?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Your teachers might be effective educators, though I still feel that a more traditional teaching approach is the most effective type. What I do like is that you are taking the children's interests into account. I think that is important and that's why I advocate literature based learning and prefer novels over basal readers. I also think parent and community involvement are important to a child's education.
ReplyDelete~ Johann Herbart
I believe teachers serve as models for respectable behavior as well as educators. I'm not quite sure how this type of classroom would work? At such a young age students should be provided educational direction while also being taught to be kind people. I'm sure this setting would promote creativity, exploration, and interest but I don't see how educators can serve as leaders without guiding students.
ReplyDelete-Shinici Suzuki
I would be interested in visiting your schools to see how your teachers respond to the students at play. I like the idea of the teacher as a guide and the students share their opinions, but I wouldn't want to see the teacher judging the answers by they way the teacher responds. The Taba Approach (my students named it after me) consists of concept development and interpretation of data. I like the data component you described.
ReplyDelete-Hilda Taba
I do feel that these teachers would be effective educators. I created an educational environment in which children, through their own self activity, could develop in the right direction. You said that people might think your children are just playing if they were to walk into your classroom. But play is an intregal part of a child's life. Through playing children can express their innermost thoughts, needs, and desires.
ReplyDeleteI like that teachers are resources for children in your classrooms. Resources are effective routes of learning and gathering information. That seems to be a norm for all classrooms, no matter what the set up. I do believe that children need more direction than what you may provide so that there is a starting point from which to map progress. The community and parents are very important in a child's education. My students need much repetition when reading their books and parents provide the perfect opportunity for this practice. I would be interested in observing and documenting the learning in your classroom to compare the types of activities the students choose to that of a traditional classroom's activities provided by the teacher.
ReplyDeleteI think you are doing a great job letting them learn by play. I like how you base your curriculum on the kids conversations. Children can learn a lot by playing. As you and the children pick topics through discussions, I would allow them to act out something for that particular topic. They can learn a lot through storytelling.
ReplyDeleteVivian Paley
I feel teachers using the Reggio Emilia Approach can be effective educators. Your educators teach children in a natural setting giving them meaningful interaction in a natural communication, which I feel is important. I also agree that community and parental involvement are key in a child’s education. –Stephen Krashen
ReplyDeleteI absolutely agree with you that the curriculum should come from what the children want to learn. I like that you use techniques such as, projects and collaboration. I do not think children learn best in an environment that uses lectures. The schools are part of a larger society and that society influences what the children learn, but also the children should strive to have an effect on that community. If they do not like what they are seeing, they should work to change it. Parents should be involved in their child's education, but should not force them into anything; they should help to guide their child.
ReplyDeleteI like the sound of your emergent curriculum. I think that children are naturally motivated to learn about the world around them. It sounds like what is going on in the classroom is somewhat flexible. I think that children should be given the freedom to choose their own learning activities.
ReplyDeleteYour concept of teacher as researcher sounds intriguing. I advocate for the teacher to act as guide, just as you describe in your last paragraph. This involves holding back and making a lot of observation, only to interject when necessary for learning, and letting the child act on interest. I think we have this in common to some degree. I also think that children learn well in small groups.
I share the description that you gave about outsiders thinking that children in the classroom are only playing. People often say this about my approach with young children. Of course, they are learning but not by sitting and being lectured. I do feel that your teachers can be effective educators, but all would benefit from a carefully selected environment with specific objects to encourage exploration and learning.
As for community and parent involvement, if they are supportive of your practices that is very helpful. I have worked in places where individual thinking is encouraged by the wider culture, but also where letting the child's interest guide and promotion of individuality has been discouraged (like in Italy with Mussolini). If a community shares your values, it is very helpful.
-Maria Montessori
I believe that the teachers in your school scan be very effective. A classroom teacher should take on the role of a researcher, observing what students have learned, while guiding students’ explorations towards a deeper understanding of ideas. I feel students should work in collaborative groups when appropriate to help each other find answers through questioning and opinions. I would love to come to one of your schools and see first hand how your students adapt to the classroom atmosphere.
ReplyDeleteTeachers of emergent curriculum have the potential to be effective. The collaboration method could be useful for development, as long as males and females are practicing the roles they will fill as adults. That is the girls must practice being pleasing, modest, and subtle. However, one must be careful not to reinforce interests of students that are not appropriate for the development of their gender identity and/or moral development. I find the concept of parental and community influencing education acceptable. This could provide excellent modeling for children.
ReplyDeleteParents, especially mothers, can nourish their children and protect them from the evils of man. I would like to offer as an example an excerpt from my work, “The Social Contract,” which I wrote in 1762. “It is you whom I address, tender, foresighted mother --you who know how to stay away from the busy highway and protect the growing seedling from the impact of human opinion! Cultivate and water the young plant before it dies; its fruit will one day be your delight. Early on, form an enclosure around your child's soul. Someone else can mark its circumference, but you alone must build the fence.” I firmly believe mothers are responsible for educating their children and developing their character.
ReplyDeleteMany times, parents can be a disturbance in the classroom. Most of my pupil's parents are much too busy to spend time in the classroom. I'm not familiar with the type of learning you've explained. I do not feel your teachers would be effective- I would be one to consider your methods just play. Children, especially of such a young age, need structure and strict discipline.
ReplyDeleteI would feel quite at home in one of your classrooms as you you would feel in mine. It is amazing what children can teach us! They should guide their own learning from meaningful activities they can grow from. ~ Pratt
ReplyDelete