Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Stephen Krashen


Hello again, my name is Stephen Krashen. I am currently an Emeritus professor of Education at the University of Southern California in the School of Education. I hold a PhD in Linguistics from UCLA. I consider myself a linguist, educational researcher and activist. People would say I am best known for developing the first comprehensive theory of second language acquisition. I have also made contributions to the theory and application in the area of bilingual education and I have done some important work in the area of reading.


There are five hypotheses of my theory of second language acquisition; the Acquisition-Learning hypothesis, the Monitor hypothesis, the Input Hypothesis, the Affective Filter Hypothesis, and the Natural Order Hypothesis. My following quote summarizes the theory of second language acquisition.

“What my theory implies, quite simply, is that language acquisition, first or second, occurs when comprehension of real messages occurs, and when the acquirer is not 'on the defensive'... Language acquisition does not require extensive use of conscious grammatical rules, and does not require tedious drill. It does not occur overnight, however. Real language acquisition develops slowly, and speaking skills emerge significantly later than listening skills, even when conditions are perfect. The best methods are therefore those that supply 'comprehensible input' in low anxiety situations, containing messages that students really want to hear. These methods do not force early production in the second language, but allow students to produce when they are 'ready', recognizing that improvement comes from supplying communicative and comprehensible input, and not from forcing and correcting production."


I also have many opinions based on research when it comes to reading. The National Panel of Reading does their own research on the effectiveness of different types of reading instruction, which are guidelines most educators follow. I often challenge their research through articles and letters I write. I believe students learn to read through Free Voluntary Reading time and access to quality public and school libraries, which is not necessarily supported by (NPR). Free Voluntary Reading can consist of Silent Sustained Reading time each day. Successful models of SSR typically allow students to select their own books and do not require testing for comprehension or book reports. The case for libraries is simple students become better readers by reading more. Librarians are also crucial because they help students find books of interest so they will read more.

My ideas and opinions while based on research are sometimes misinterpreted or considered controversial. I am not afraid to make my opinions known or challenge other people’s research. Do you find yourself in your field of expertise challenging the status quo? Do you think that learning should be forced instruction or that students should be allowed to make some choices?

16 comments:

  1. I am not sure that I am challenging anyone when I profess my believe in reading recovery, but some people do disagree that children should not have instruction when reading. I do believe children should have some choices about what to read, but teachers need to help children build upon their strengths and help to improve upon weaknesses of their reading with guidance. I also do agree with your belief that for children to improve their reading they must read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have met those who considered my views controversial. In 1809 I accepted the chair of pedagogy and philosophy at the University of Konigsburg. However, I had to leave in 1833 because the Prussian government did not agree with my educational views in relation to state and church power.

    I don't necessarily believe that children should have "forced" instruction, but they certainly need a traditional type of education. I do agree with your views on reading and how important it is for students to appreciate literature.

    ~ Johann Herbart

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't believe students learn best through forced instruction. I agree with you that students should have some input in their curriculum. I allow them to paly and conversate and then create lessons based on what I hear them say. Apparently what they are saying on their own time, not during forced instruction where they say what we want
    to hear, gives a better idea of what is really important to the child, as well as it telling us what the child really thinks. Storytelling is also a good way for them to develop their language.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Students can be given some freedom as they will learn on their own. However, the education of females should be restricted to what is useful. For example, most little girls will want to learn to sew. Since sewing is a skill with utility for women, an educator can allow girls to practice/learn in that area as they so desire. If a girl wanted to learn something that would not be useful, liking furniture making, an educator should redirect the girl to something else.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Throughout my life, I did find myself challenging the status quo. I took an atypical route with my own education - eventually becoming a doctor at a time when female doctors were unheard of! My schools were initially very popular, but I did have to fight certain perceptions. For example, I worked to educate children that wee thought to be "uneducatable." I also clashed with Mussolini, who did not agree with the emphasis my methods put on the individual. As a result, I had to leave Italy.

    I think that learning should not be forced. Students should certainly be allowed to make some choices. Learning should be self-guided. Children are naturally inclined to learn, and this should be supported.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course children should not be forced when it comes to instruction. Children should be free to explore the world around them without retrictions. It is ok to give children guidacne when needed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do not necessarily feel that I am challenging anyone when it comes to my views. I know there are those who feel like children should be spoon-fed information and not be allowed time to explore ideas on their own but I am proud of my ideas and willing to share them with whomever will listen.
    I do like to give students choices when it comes to their instruction. We get to know our students by the topics they choose to explore. While some instruction is always needed we also can easily conform our instruction to meet the idea of students
    -Eleanor Duckowrth

    ReplyDelete
  8. In my endeavor to push for a kindergarten movement in the US, I do find myself challenging the status quo. Not everyone feels as strongly as I do about these early and impressionable years. I also feel that children should have some choice in their education. When students are young, it is difficult to engage them. Giving them some choice about what is being taught or the manner in which they can apply newly acquired skills can be both engaging and motivating!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have not been challenged but I do know that my views are not common in my country (I believe that talent is not inborn, instead that it is something that can be developed). I do not believe that instruction should be pushed upon children. I believe that given the proper enviornment, students will prosper on their own.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel that learing should happen whether or not the child aggrees. Sometimes children do not know what is best and therefore teaching becomes a much harder task for the educator. I feel that teaching in my time is somewhat of a challenge due to the fact that I am a woman. Many people feel that I am out of line in my discipline procedures as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As a reformer in education I feel that I am always challenging the status quo. There are several people in my field that are not happy with some of my ideas. I feel that children should be able to make choices in what they want to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I, too, found myself challenging that which most others saw as commonplace. I believe that children need guidance from highly qualified adults (either teachers or librarians), though giving them freedom is important as well. I am happy to hear that someone else is helping to encourage free education through fighting for libraries and reading time. I have always thought it to be important to have society wake up to the importance of providing good, free education to all children. ~ Horace Mann

    ReplyDelete
  13. I feel it is necessary to challenge ideas. In fact, my book was publically banned and criticized. I believe children should be guided through education, but largely be left to explore their own world.
    Jean Jacques Rousseau (Emile)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do think I challenged the status quo when it came to hiring women in this field, but as far as my research goes, my mentor John Dewey and many others also were studying the same thing. I completely believe that students should guide their own learning and teachers should teach from what they are interested in.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Of course our method challenges the status quo of a more traditional way of education but, many are impressed how much our students learn and how excited they become about learning verses their traditional learning peers. Students most definitely need to be allowed to make choices in their instruction.

    --Reggio Emilio

    ReplyDelete
  16. We challenge status quo when the status quo isn't good enough for children. The world doesn't listen to children they way they should. We are their voice. Children need to have meaningful activities to play and learn through. I do not believe forced education provides motivation to learn.

    ReplyDelete