I attended Brown University and graduated at the top of my class in 1819, continuing to become educated as a librarian and tutor of Latin and Greek, and studying law for just a short period of time. Though I did not initially intend to be so involved in reforming, a paid position in legislation allowed me to train teachers at conventions, found and edit The Common School Journal , and sent out annual reports about the progress in the schools. This journal and these reports are still regarded as "among the best expositions, if, indeed, they are not the very best ones, of the practical benefits of a common school education both to the individual and to the state" (Hinsdale).
In my journal, I wrote about controversial issues that were targeted at the schools and the problems within the schools. I was so convincing, that legislators often changed and adapted policies within the school based on my recommendations. This made me realize how much influence I could really have on the world. Though there were several people that did not agree with my ideas, I continued to alert the public about what I believed was the best education in America at the time.
After my time in legislation and reform, I was president at Antioch College, teaching several courses. My legacy lives on there, as well as several other colleges around the nation that have dedicated parts of campus in my name. I am well known in today's world as "the Father of American Education" based on my influential work. I died in 1859 at the age of 63.
A fun fact about me is that my brother in law is the great writer Nathaniel Hawthorne.
Something to think about…
Horace Mann brought up controversial issues such as separation of church and state and other public policy that were not well received by some. However, he was still very influential in changing the way the public school policy was implemented. Do you think his ideas would have been influential if he were a female?
From Hilda Taba: Unfortunately, I don't think he would have been as influencial. I was turned down for a job at Tartu University because I was a female and that was in the early 1900's. Women's rights didn't happen until much later, so I think he was successful partly because he was male.
ReplyDelete