Wednesday, May 27, 2009

curriculum worker - Marie Clay - Reading Recovery

Hello!  My name is Marie Clay.  As  a reading educator I have alway been interested in how children learn, but particulary with children who have extreme difficulty learning to read and write.  My interest allowed me to gravitate toward researching teaching children with difficulties how to read, and to help teachers redesign their traditional delivery of reading instruction to benefit their struggling readers.  I present to you the research based intervention known as Reading Recovery.
 
    ** A Brief Overview **
 
    Reading Recovery is a highly effective short-term intervention of one-to-one tutoring for low-achieving first grade students.  I intend Reading Recovery to be effective by making it available to all students who need it and to work with classroom teachers for supplementation in the classroom.  The goal I intended for Reading Recovery is for dramatic reduction in the number of first grade students who have extreme difficulty learnig to read and write, which would then reduce costs of these learners to the educational systems.  The children who qualify for Reading Recovery are the lowest achieving first graders.  These students do not catch on to the concepts that help them to read and write.  The students who qualify for Reading Recovery benefit from a half-hour lesson every day school is in session for 12 to 20 weeks with a teacher who has had specialized training concerning Reading Recovery.  Once the students meet grade level expectations and demonstrate independence with classroom work they may discontinue Reading Recovery lessons and a new student may be enrolled.
 
   **Outcomes of Reading Recovery**
 
    Approximately 75% of the students who complete the 12 to 20 week intervention can meet grade level expectations concerning reading and writing.  Studies that have been completed on students completing Reading Recovery achieve competency on standardized tests and maintain their growth during their later elementary years.  I feel that this is such an accomplishment for these students.  They must work diligently to make strides where they have begun with a deficit.
 
    Any child that may still be having challenges concerning reading and writing after Reading Recovery has been used are recommended for further support within the school.  The child is not left at this point, but continuing support is constructed with reference to the information gathered during Reading Recovery.
 
   **The Infrastructure of Reading Recovery**
 
    The intervention I developed was one of great thought.  The professionals involved have a continuing support system and many resources for questions and/or problems that may arise.  The Reading Recovery teacher is trained for a time period of one year while remaining in the classroom to implement the intervention.  Part of the training allows for much observation through a one-way glass.  Teachers instruct lessons for others to watch as well as being able to watch lessons.  Discussion follows.  The year that follows the initial training provides ongoing professional development sessions which are referred to as continuing contact.  Teachers continue to teach for colleagues and construct discussion of interventions used.  I believe that this allows for many points of view to be presented and ideas to be built upon for further use with children.  The teachers have teacher leaders to rely on for support in all aspects of Reading Recovery.  These experts also conduct local training programs about the intervention and help to guide teachers to the best instruction for the extreme challenges these children face.  At the third level of the tier of support for Reading Recovery are the trainers themselves.  The trainers are most usually professors based at universities who prepare the teacher leaders, advise about new developments concerning the intervention, provide guidance concerning the issues of Reading Recovery.  As society changes I believe this tier to be important to making the adjustments necessary to guide Reading Recovery programs for the sole benefit of the child.
 
  **Reading Recovery lessons**
 
    I believe that the objective of every Reading Recovery lesson should be to promote accelerated learning so that students may catch up to their peers so that the gap that is hindering them may become null, and the students can once again benefit solely from the general classroom instruction without dependence on others.  Each Reading Recovery lesson is completely individualized, based upon what skills have been shown as needed by the student, as well as to capitalize on their strengths.  Many strategies are used within each lesson, but the teacher must make quick decisions within the lesson to best suit each particular child.  Each lesson includes taking a running record, working with letters and/or words, reading books familiar to the child and reviewing a book read previously, writing stories, reading new books, and assembling stories that have been rearranged.  The Reading Recovery teacher allows opportunities for problem solving with scaffolding taking place so that the correct amount of support is constructed for reading and writing.  Within the activities of each Reading Recovery lesson skills are embedded such as learning about letter/sound relationships (phonemic awareness), hearing and recording sounds in spelling patterns (phonics and spelling), and understanding the text so that the child is not simply reading the words (decoding), but using problem solving skills within the print (comprehension and fluency).

  

Time and time again I have seen success within the program of reading that I have had great influence.  Reading Recovery is utilized in many different countries with the same outcome again and again.  I take such pride in being such a small part of what each Reading Recovery teacher is able to accomplish with their students each year.  I feel no greater purpose for my research than to be able to help children on a daily basis.  I would ask you to consider the reading techniques and/or strategies you have utilized for decoding and fluency as well as for comprehension and meaning making for text.  Which techniques work? Which do not?  Why do you think the techniques work or do not work?  What influences your choices for using a strategy or technique for struggling readers?  I hope that I have given you an opportunity to evaluate your own practices and ponder or revisit the impact Reading Recovery has had on so many children.  Thank you for your interest in a dear topic for myself.

 

Marie Clay

     

 

     

18 comments:

  1. Reading recovery was being done the year I started teaching (12 years ago). I don't really know how it worked because I taught kindergarten. I heard that it is a good program if it is used correctly. The school stopped using it after that year. Our school tried Voyager next, but it only focused on fluency. This year we have an intervention program that focused on comprehension, decoding, and fluency. I liked the program. I did see some growth in some of the students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I team taught with a Reading Recovery teacher. She worked with her RR kids typically first graders in the morning and taught our second grade class in the afternoon. She did help to bring her students up to reading level. The following year when her RR kids became second graders they continued to thrive. From the program I seen, I believe Reading Recovery is a beneficial program.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard good things about Reading Recovery but have not taught it. One strategy I use is teaching Lindamood Belle. I teach Kindergarten so it is a good stepping stone to teacher letters/letter sounds by feeling what your mouth does.
    I am currently researching reading fluency for my curriculum project. I have learned one important strategy for reading fluency is to use daily poems. Reading fun, repetitive text daily can increase fluency.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I taught first grade for two years. We didn't use Reading Recovery, but we had Title 1 teachers who would come in and do short, mini lessons with our struggling readers every day. It seemed to help, but they still weren't working at grade level. One thing I noticed that worked well with struggling readers is to allow them to practice with text they are familiar with and can read fluently. It gave them confidence in an area that they have great difficulty in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carey,
    Lindamood Belle sounds interesting. I have not used it myself. I did not use poems this year, but we have talked about using them next year. The children seemed to enjoy them previously and I found it did improve their fluency as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reading Recovery sounds interesting and seems to be pretty successful. I think the reading programs that work best include repetition, variety, and material that students find interesting (such as fun topics, imagination, and poems - as mentioned by Carey).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will remind you to speak through the voices of your curriculum worker--these comments sound like the students in my class. I will know if you understand your workers' ideas, in part, by your responses to the questions posed in the blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reading Recovery teaches the child toward his/her educational needs. It often bases its lessons on prior knowledge and interests of the child. It is our belief that children must have some control over their learning and reading recovery allows this in some fashion in its lessons. Daily lessons do vary and allow students to learn through experiences. Our belief is that a child’s reading curriculum and overall curriculum stems from the particular interests of child. Topics are derived from talking with children as well as things that are known to be interesting to children. The teacher then uses this information to build lessons and units. (Reggio Emilla Approach)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hilda Taba: In my opinion, a student will not be successful in the classroom unless the teacher can step back and let the students lead. This does not seem possible with Reading Recovery. Standardized testing and improvement of scores don't show anything. I believe that if a student can learn to think for themselves, interpret their feelings, and share their opinions, they will be successful in life. With standardized testing, the teacher has too much control over the right and wrong answers, thus being too judgmental.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I believe much of learning should come from children’s interactions with the world so they can develop their senses. The main goal of teaching boys to read is to give them the tools they need in order to master their trade and be good citizens.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not familiar with this whole reading recovery idea you speak of. It sounds interesting, and I appreaciate that it is research based, but I question where the behavioral and discovery component is? Those to pieces of curriculm are always very dear to me. As I've said, if children are not silent, they are in need of reprimand! In our reading lessons we work on pure memorization and phonetic awareness thorugh repetition. The pupils in my classroom regularly copy off the board and recite familiar stories. (E. Peabody)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Allowing reading recovery would require too many boundaries on the student having to sit still. Children will learn to read better if you let the studetns get up and interact with each other. They will pick up on how to read during their discussions at play time. (Vivian Paley)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What fun!
    Thanks for "becoming" your workers

    ReplyDelete
  14. I believe there is too much focus on teaching girls to read and write. The proper education for girls should focus more on the duties she will have as women. These duties are relative to men, and include pleasing them, being useful to them, consoling them, making their life pleasant, and making oneself loved and honored by them. Of course there are also the duties of motherhood that should be part of girls' education.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think Reading Recovery is a good program. However, my work focuses on social justice and reform. I educate future teachers on how to best deal with these issues. Reading Recovery requires more trained tutors, which under-funded schools typically do not have in abundance. This program would require more one on one time with students, which under-funded schools do not have time for. This program would only be helpful for children from more affluent families and attended better schools.

    Bill Ayers

    ReplyDelete
  16. I appreciate your work with struggling students, as I too have worked with struggling students. I have had much success educating children that others deemed impossible to educate, such as individuals with cognitive disabilities and underprivileged children. While I applaud that reading recovery is individualized, I do have some concerns. Reading recovery sounds very structured. I believe that children are self-motivated to learn and should be allowed to be self-directed when learning, and that teachers should act as guides. In reading recovery, it sounds as though the teacher is too directive. Teachers should not underestimate the importance of observing their students. Also, when learning, children should be allowed to self-correct when possible, and it does not sound as though this is emphasized.
    -Maria Montessori

    ReplyDelete
  17. Reading Recovery seems very interesting to me. I do like that you have provided ways for the children to use their prior knowledge and scaffold, yet I worry about the over use of one-on-one time. Although this can provide a great time for questioning to lead the child to find understanding within themselves I feel they also need time to share their ideas with others in search of the understanding.
    -Eleanor Duckworth

    ReplyDelete
  18. Reading Recovery seems to be a very structured program and your results are impressive. I feel that students can learn from structure settings and free choice. Students enjoy choosing their own books during Silent Sustained reading time.

    ReplyDelete